CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Kiki the Cat

I’m allergic to cats. Joe’s allergic to cats. Three neighbor girls brought a cute little orange and black-striped, not-quite-a-kitten-anymore, cat to my house to see if we wanted it. I took it, and we kept it, until we got rid of it when we found out Jared is also allergic to cats.

I knew, genetically speaking, that might happen. I thought a little sneezing, coughing, and runny eyes a small price to pay to create lots of good cat memories like mine – dressing my cat Tiger in doll clothes and pushing him in a stroller, cutting his whiskers off, watching my dad dropkick my cat Susannah out the back door and over the deck like a football (after she dug her claws into his flesh in three solid straight red lines from his wrist halfway to his elbow) – okay, maybe not memories exactly like mine, but still, memories.

Jared, however, went beyond the usual allergy and straight to the extreme – I can’t breath because my airways are closing off – allergy. We took Jared to the doctor for a breathing treatment (which helped) and experienced a rough night of Jared crying to us to please give Kiki the cat to a new home if it would help him breathe.

We tried to give the cat away the next day, unsuccessfully, but finally found a place for her a few days later. I admit it’s not quite the cat memory I hoped for, but at least it’s a memory I’m sure my kids won’t forget.

2 comments:

TheWhettenFamilia said...

Oh I love Kiki the cat she's cute! I had fun too! I miss the good old days of being able to spend all holidays at grandma and grandpas, playning in the basement and the field and just hanging out with everyone! I wish evryone could get together more often! Your kids are such cuties by the way!

Brecca said...

I have good and bad cat memories growing up with my kitty Jezzabelle. (Her climbing by her claws vertical up the back screen door, Dad finding this out and kicking her across the garage to which she would pee on only his pillow, watching her baby kittys learn and grow). That was an awesome part of my childhood but Blake is alergic to them. So, like your family, we are catless.